There is an incredible amount of data exchange going on between a retailer, a manufacturer and a consumer. A lot of this happens at the actual place of product purchase and there has been a lot of recent activity to come up with a solution to replace old paper tags. Intelligent retail shelving is trending at the moment and it is a brilliant way of using digital technology which engages customers along with price labeling. It is a more efficient way of keeping track of everything on the shelf and propels technology in the retail sector. Through intelligent shelving, more detailed product data, information and experiences can be delivered at the point of purchase, engaging customers and delivering critical purchase making information at the opportune moment.
· Coupled shelves– For customers of certain products, having to pick up items and carry packages around can be cumbersome. Especially in the commerce age when so many shoppers are used to having products delivered to their doorsteps. To streamline things, coupled shelves make use of mobile triggers like QR codes on ‘smart’ shelves. Customers can “buy” the products with a scan and a few clicks to schedule delivery time rather than physically carry products around while buying and carry them. Some coupled shelves come with sensory detectors to detect the age and gender of the shoppers. Based on context and customer details, they can instantly deliver updates about the offers display contextual messages based on an individual.
· Kinect for Windows– Shopping experience have never been this fun with the use of Kinect for Windows. Stores utilize digital signs connected with Microsoft’s Kinect. It immediately captures the customer’s attention and let them experiment on the wide range of possibilities. Customers do not want to waste their time on trying something unusual. But through the immense possibility of Kinect for Windows customers do not mind taking their time in browsing through their entire collection until they find a good fit or product they like.
· Transparent Screens– Retail stores are paving the way and moving away from the system of just putting the goods in display. The Storefront Window screen allows shoppers to view the full catalog, upcoming offers and new products with a single click or tap. The shoppers can enjoy this privilege even when the store remains closed too. The viewing angle tends to be wider. Users can have it installed inside dressing room to use as mirrors. It also streamlines valuable information about the products without blocking their view.
· Micro Digital or Electronic Shelf Labeling– With this new technology consumers can actually introduce the product in a way to draw the customer’s attention. There is improved connectivity and integration with the product data or store management systems and shelf information is sent or updated digitally in real time. Visual content and product information can be sent straight to the electronic display on a shelf offering customers a more digital experience in a physical retail environment.
· Powershelf Lighting– This lighted shelving is designed to grab the attention of shoppers. It can allow retailers to visibly distinguish between key brands and deliver a unique shopping experience like never before. Retailers have observed a hike in their sales through the use of the Powershelf lighting.
The coming of the “Intelligent Retail Shelving” has the potential to change the experience of the entire retail business. It has translated a whole range of customers to seek for better choices beyond their customary likes and dislikes and created elements of the digital world in the physical one. We’re excited to see these technologies continue to make their way to stores in the months to come.